Tartan scarf

rweait's picture

A new scarf, perhaps. Hard to say really. I mean, it's a rectangle. It could be a scarf or a shawl. It could be a bed throw, a couch throw or a wide table runner. Mostly, it will be up to the user.

This was my second go at the Cameron of Erracht tartan.

Round One

My first go at the Cameron of Erracht tartan was with the Modern colourway, as judiciously cropped, here.

Cameron of Erracht, modern, cropped

Which some found loud or saturated but they didn't know the full story. There was also a weaving error.

And not a little one. I make weaving errors all the time. Skips, floats, hey, they happen. But that wasn't the issue here. Nope. I completely broke the pattern. I lost track of where I was in the pattern and wove a large section again. Here is the full, accidentally duplicated, version.

Cameron of Erracht, modern, full, errors

Yeah. Whoops.

Round two

So this was the second go. I went with the weathered colourway this time to dial back on the saturation. Also, I had the yarn. I think the finished fabric is even less intense than the photo appears.

The threadcount came from the Scottish Register of Tartans, and a threadcount is a pattern for a tartan. My warp was just under two complete setts wide, and the weaving was about five and a half setts long.

I used the home made loom. The warp was about 28" wide and three yards long. Threading this loom is easy-peasy, because I built it with what are, I guess, built in raddles. The threading was at 20 epi to try to get my squares to be square. Previous tartans in this yarn, were too long on the warp. Or my beat on the weft was too light. This one was better, but still needs work.

The yarn was a combination of 8/2 cotton and 8/2 cottolin from Camilla Valley Farm Weavers' Supply.

The scarf, because I'm calling it a scarf, was 200cm x 65cm when I removed it from the loom. It shrank to 180cm x 55cm after a wash and dry. You know, a good scarf-size.

cameron of erracht, weathered, full

Again, this image makes the scarf look brighter than it seems in person.

Conclusion

This was a fun project to weave. It took me about one complete sett of weaving to find my pace and beat. The selvedges seemed to settle down after that. The finishing turned out well too. I used a hemstitch, then tied the tassels. They aren't perfect, but they aren't horrible either. And the tassels came out of the wash looking nicely weathered.

The home made loom took a bit of a beating. It will need a bit of repair as I overdid the tension a bit. So a bit more woodworking in my near future. All part of the fun.

Add new comment

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.